After you have decided that selling is the best course of action, and you’ve contacted a few agents to come and appraise your home, it’s time to choose which agent will manage the sale. This is one of the most important steps towards a successful sale.
Good real estate agents do all of the hard work for you when selling your home, and are a critical part of the selling process. They list your property, take care of all the marketing and advertising required to get your property seen, take through and screen all buyers, negotiate the sale and take care of all legal aspects of selling a home—all of which are crucial to the success of your sale.
Real estate agents offer unique insights and experience when it comes to listing and selling a home. Most importantly, agents are there to help relieve some of the stresses that can accompany selling—helping you to focus on what matters most. And because it’s such an important job, you want it done by the right person who will do it properly.
When you’re deciding on which agent to list your property with, keep in mind that the task at hand is incredibly important—you want an agent that you trust, who is professional and adaptable—you’re selling one of your biggest assets, and your expectations should be demanding.
To make it simple, here’s what you should look for in an agent:
- Ability to meet your requirements
- Clear interest in meeting your needs
- Professional designation and member of the REIQ
- Positive references from past clients
- Knowledge of the area in which you’re selling your property
- Knowledge of the price bracket you’re likely to sell in
- Commitment to realistic about the market and your situation